Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Challenges

Merry Christmas Eve Everyone!


Since I am ALL READY for Santa's arrival, I thought I'd play a few Christmas Challenges posted out there in Blogland.  This MIGHT be my last Christmas card for the year ... no promises however ... I LOVE making Christmas cards!

It's snowing here in N.E. Ohio, USA ... and we already have had snow on the ground for most of December so this year it has really felt like the Christmas' I recall from my childhood.  In fact, with today being Christmas Eve, I'm a bit melancholy with memories of those days oh so long ago.

 MAY I SHARE A LITTLE STORY WITH YOU??

 My Dad worked in the local Steel Mill and every Christmas they provided gifts for all the employee's children.  I can remember my parents, my sister's & I all dressed up and headed to the 'mill' to get our gifts . . . and it always seemed to be snowing when that 'special gift' day came. (One year we even got stuck on the hill coming up out of town and had to have my Uncle Tom tow us up the hill with his truck!)   There would be Christmas carols filing the air as you approached the hall and everyone greeted you with a very joyful "Merry Christmas!"  As we came into the huge hall there were tables all around set up by AGE and BOY/GIRL so we'd have to find 'our gift table' to see what we were blessed with that year.  (I can remember receiving a Tea Set two years in a row and since my older sister & I are only 13 months apart ... we both received a Tea Set two years in a row ... many, many tea parties went on at our house to say the least! LOL)  As we mingled around with our parents, as they greeted so many local folks they knew, THERE HE WAS AS BIG AS LIFE!!!    SANTA!! 
We always got to sit on Santa's lap and tell him what we were wishing for that Christmas and upon leaving we were always given a box of hard tac candy and the biggest apple you've ever seen ... oh yea, and a huge orange too!   What wonderful memories ... I only wished I had a photo to share with you but my folks didn't take many photos back then (1950's) ... in fact, I don't even think we owned a camera!  Hopefully you can envision the sweet image that is in my head right now and have enjoyed sharing this childhood memory with me today.  It seems like this happened only yesterday ... yet those days are so long past!  Where does the time go?? 

I may not have a photo of my sister's and I at that precious time ... but I DO have a photo of my brothers-in-law back in 1948 visiting Santa at Gimbels Department Store in Pittsburgh, PA.  I just love the 'wonder' in brother-in-law Alan's face as he "checks out Santas" authenticity!!  Check out the wool snow pants too ... they certainly kept you warm ... though not very dry!!

Well, I guess you'd like to see that last Christmas card I told you about at the beginning of this post.  Here it is . . .
 The recipe for this creation:
Papers:  Very Vanilla, Gold Metallic, DCWV Glitter paper, K&Co. designer paper
Image:  Nicecrane Designs 'Old Merry Christmas' ATC/backgrounds
Accessories:  Wilton paper doilies, Wright ecru lace, Martha Stewart snowflake punch, Darice 'cross' charm, Deco Art Glamour Dust, Stampendous diamond dots, Recollection pearls, Ranger Vintage Photo distress ink, distresser

Challenges entered:
City Crafter Challenge - Vintage Christmas
Moxie Fab World - Glitter is Glam
Southern Girls Challenge - Vintage
Dutch Dare Card Challenge - Winter
Aud Sentiments Challenge - Anything Goes
Charisma Cardz Challenge - Pearls & Lace
Digi Doodle Shops Best - Anything Goes

Well, that's all from me today!  Mark & I would like to wish you a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS & Happy 2011!!  Enjoy your family and I look forward to hearing all about the new memories you have made!  God Bless!


Hugs ... Darlene

24 comments:

  1. have a wonderful Christmas
    Allisonx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very special and beautiful Chritmas card!I loved reading your story and that photo is hillarious! Thanks for joining us at Southern Girls Challenge and have a wonderful Christmas Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely Christmas card.
    Thanks for joining us at Aud Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful cards & what a sweetly wonderful story, my friend! LOVE that photo! What a precious treasure you have there! Thanks for sharing this...

    Just stealing away quietly for a few minutes to wish a Merry Christmas to some of my very favorite people in blogland...and you are certainly at the top of the list, dear Darlene!

    I hope you have the most wonderful holiday with your lovely family...enjoy the snow & just everything!

    With love,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card and thank you for the story. Thank you for joining us at Digi Doodle Shop's Best.

    Hugs
    Cathy
    xxxxxx

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  6. GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for playing along with DDSB!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful card,so lovely to share in your memories too! thank you for sharing this with Southern Girls. Compliments of the season,Julie.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous vintage image! Love your card.
    Thanks for playing at Southern Girls! Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab traditional card! Thanks for playing along with us at Southern Girls!! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas! Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely card! I like the touch of blue. :) Thanks for sharing your wonderful story too. Thanks so much for joining us this week at Digi Doodle Shop's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful card ... thank you so much for playing along at CCCB

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading your story...seeing the photo and of course your card! Thanks for joining in our Vintage challenge at Southern Girls and good luck!
    Alicia xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW this is truly beautiful I adore the vintage/traditional style it is stunning with all the wonderful detail, thank you for joining us at Aud Sentiments
    Hugs
    Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Love that vintage image, thanks for playing along with us at CCCB!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely, thanks for joining us at Digi Doodle Shops Best.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card.Thanks fro sharing your story and the wonderful photo.Thanks for joining us at Digi Doodle Shop's Best :D
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a beautiful vintage card!!!
    i love the cross on the bottom right!gorgeous

    thanks for joining us at dutch dare challenge. hope to see you again very soon :)

    hugs
    yenni

    ReplyDelete
  18. long time no see, Darlene! I am so happy I stopped by...your vintage card is lovely and the story even more so. I am blessed to have sweet pics of my sibs and I with Santa, but definitely not the wonder on that boys eyes.

    Hope you are well and blessings in the New year year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Darlene, this is beautiful! I love the crocheted lace. Congrats on your top 5 finish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great vintage style card, thanks for playing at Aud Sentiments.

    Hugs Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a gorgeous card. Thank you for joining us at charisma cardz challenge. Hugs, Denise x
    Wishing you a happy 2011 x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Dar - cool story! Love the pic - those wool pants do look warm! How precious to have a picture like that¬!

    thanks for joining in with Aud Sentiments (thats the official bit done!) - Happy New Year in about 30 mins *my time*

    Rx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your card is very pretty. Thanks for joining our last challenge of this year at Digi Doodle Shop's Best!

    Greetings,
    Katja (DDSB-DT)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Darlene! Thanks for entering the Glitter is Glam challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you played along! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some love!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.