That's right! I give THREE CHEERS to husbands that aren't afraid to bake or cook and
MY husband can do BOTH very well!!
He's on vacation this week and he knew I had some card orders to fill so while I was down in my 'crafting cave' ... he was upstairs 'working his magic'!
He said he saw this recipe (which I will share at the end of this post) in a local flyer, that sounded pretty good and wanted to give it a try. After going through the pantry to see if he had everything needed ... "PLUS" (he always adds a little "EXTRA") ... and he was on his way! The recipe called for THREE Apples ... we only had TWO but he was sure it would be OKAY ... AND HE WAS RIGHT!!!
This is called Philadelphia-Style Apple Cake ... doesn't it look yummy? (IT WAS!)
I say WAS because after we each had a piece for dessert after our Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup, we divided it up to share with our neighbors! They are always sharing cookies, cupcakes, stuffed grape leaves, hummus, tabolli (those last few are from our Arabic neighbor ... Mmmmm so good) ... so it was time for us to do a little sharing in return!
This is the piece I cut for Mark ... I took a little smaller piece. It was still warm and the only thing that could have made it better is if I had some vanilla ice cream for on the top! (she says licking her lips)
The apples were done PERFECTLY and the cake was so moist! Not too sweet either ...
Mark said it actually reminded him of the old time cakes his grandmother used to make when he was a little boy at home. When you read the recipe, it certainly reminds you of those recipes of long ago!!
Okay ... enough chatter ... here's the recipe for you! Enjoy!
(and if you make it, drop me a note and let me know what you thought)
Philadelphia Style Apple Cake
6 cups peeled & thinly sliced Granny Smith Apples
(about 3 large)
1/2 cup plus 5 Tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
4 teaspoons cinnamon
3 cups all-purpose flower
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup orange juice
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup Cherry Flavored Craisins (Mark's addition)
1/4 cup chopped pecans (Mark's addition)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease, sugar and flower a 10" Bundt or tube pan.
2. Combine apple slices with 5 tablespoons granulated sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
3. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside
4. Beat eggs with remaining granulated sugar and brown sugar. Add vegetable oil, orange juice and vanilla; beat well. Gradually blend in flour mixture and mix until well blended (about 1 minute).
5. Pour one-third of the batter into the pan. Top with half the apple slices, (draining off any liquid), Craisins & Pecans. Pour in half the remaining batter and top with remaining apple slices, Craisins & Pecans. Top with remaining batter, making sure the apples are covered.
6. Bake 55 to 60 minutes, until the top turns golden brown and a knife insered near the center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes in pan. Turn out onto a wire rack and let cool completely. Serves 16
Nutritional fact per serving: 320 calories, 15g fat, 55mg cholesterol, 4g protein, 47g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 190mg sodium.
So there you have it! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Now I'd better get back to finishing my cards!