Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The Sisterhood of Crafters - Buttons

Hello Dear Friends!
It's time once again for a new challenge at

Our hostess today is Anna and she has chosen the theme ...

BUTTONS

I must admit I rarely use buttons on my cards.  
Probably because it might add bulk which then adds costs for mailing.  I sell a lot of my cards and the ladies either want one stamp creations or they don't give a hoot and go for the ones with lots of layers &  embellishments!  LOL


But today, when I saw Anna's theme, my mind went immediately went to the old 'button jar' my mom & grandmother both had.   
Back in the day ... (giving away my age) ... we did our laundry with the old wringer washer.  Well, it never failed, if you didn't get the blouses & shirts started through the wringer proper, you were sure to pop off a few buttons.  When this happened Mom would simply add them to the jar along with all the buttons that were cut from older garments that were being discarded.  And trust me ... nothing was 'discarded' until it was WELL WORN by several in the family!  
Do you remember the days of HAND ME DOWNS?  LOL


And the jar we used was usually a quart size canning jar (aka Mason Jar).
There were always a lot of those around because we home canned everything under the sun!!  We had a huge garden and with three of us girls, we spent many hours helping Mom do the canning every summer/fall.

Challenges to share in:
Crafty Gals Corner Challenge #129 - ATG
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - ATG
Crafty Creations Challenge #344 - ATG
Little Red Wagon Challenge #400 - Three of a Kind (buttons)

I hope you like my card and will come join in our fun challenge.
The design team has some amazing creations to share so please pop over to the BLOG and check it out!

Thanks for stopping by and as always . . .




Recipe:
Papers:  White cs, light pink cs, dark pink cs, Crafty Secrets 'pastels' dp, Scrap of green foil paper, white vellum
Dies:  Tutti Designs 'Nesting Stitched Squares', Yvonne Creations 'Spring-tastic Corner', Impression Obsession 'Mason Jar'
Accessories:  Buttons, Dimensional tape


15 comments:

  1. Clever card to use a 'button jar' and a pretty one, too. Yep we had a wringer washer as well, it was PINK!! The socks were always my downfall, they would just go round and round lol!! Anyhow, fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buttons in a jar: what a great idea! I also don't use buttons often.... I love your card very much.
    Lia xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this is beautiful. Love the jar full of buttons. My mom had a tin that she kept buttons in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darlene, I enjoyed you reminiscences as much as your card! Love how you did the jar of buttons. So real looking. I have memories, too, of mom rolling a wringer washer into the kitchen and hooking up the hoses. Boy, was she ever glad to get her new-fangled washer. I inherited my mom's button collection. Rarely use them on cards for the same reasons you mentioned, but I dearly love how they look -- and they do look fabulous on your card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute way to use buttons -- love that pretty pink die cut in the corner!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card brings back memories of my mother's tin of buttons. It made me smile for the memory is a sweet one. Well done girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH! Darlene, you took me way back to those wringer washer days....Once caught my braid and that too left a memory I've never forgot...lol. I loved playing with my Grammy's button box and my grandkids played with my button jar...so somethings never die at my house...thanks for the wonderful memory and the great card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE your commentary, and yes, I do remember wringer washers. My mom had one when I was really little. Guess that tells you MY age too...lol. Your card is so stinkin' cute. I don't use many buttons on cards either because of the mailing problem, but I always love them when they are used. So fun that the buttons are inside the vellum jar...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute card. Speaking of the wringer washer, we had one too. It sat on the back porch. I remember a bunch of the cousins coming up from down state and they (the boys, of course) started playing with it and one of my cousins got his arm stuck in it. Woo whee did that cause quite a commotion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. very cute idea, I have a few button jars myself, I could totally use them on every card for quite some time and not run out, but I am the same way, don't want to add too much bulk to my mailing cards. I never used one of those ringer machines, I am so thankful for our modern machines. Such a pretty card and I am sure will bring memories to quite a few ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sweet card! The jar of buttons looks wonderful - especially with the three button embellishments to the side!

    Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon this week!

    Kate
    Small Bits of Paper

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting card!Very creative!Thank you for sharing with us this week at Crafty Gals Corner!Hope to see you again next week!
    Hugs
    Kleri DT
    http://craftygalscornerchallenges.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://kefartworx.co.uk/ (My blog)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable card! Love that sweet mason jar! Great design!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love buttons so I love this card! Jars of old buttons are my favorite find at the antique stores! I love to sift through them and many of them still have the remnants of the items they were cut from. Putting the buttons in the jar was such a creative idea.

    Thank you for joining us at Crafty Gals Corner for our Anything Goes challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some love!
Darlene