Friday, June 15, 2012

It's TRASH to TREASURE time . . .

. . . with my good friend Lana (Blest With Stamps).

If you follow my blog, you will know that Lana & I have gotten on this kick of going to the Goodwill Store and finding items that cost under $4 (we try to get the exact same item) ... then challenging each other to alter it without letting the other one know what style or color we are working with until the BIG REVEAL!

Well today we have another BIG REVEAL for you!
Here is what we are altering today ...

Now mind you ... this clock cost LESS THAN $4 (and it works!).
There are a few scratches in the lower left front corner but not bad looking as it is!

But wait till you see what I DID WITH IT ...
I had this idea in my head but then I decided to get hubby's opinion on it (since he's retired now and just sitting around the house ... lol).  So the original idea was MINE but the end result comes from HIS IDEA.

I still wanted to use it as a clock (since it worked fine) so the first step was to take it all apart (notice the little pieces were wisely put into a ziplock baggie) and draw out a circle on white cardstock to "MAKE A NEW FACE".  Well ... here is the finished product ... what do you think?

I just LOVE how it finally all came together!
I actually started out with ONE COMPLETE scene but that's when hubby said "why don't you make it for ALL FOUR SEASONS!"  So I got busy with my Eclipse Masking Medium ... Stampscapes ... Inks/Chalks and created a 'scene' onto my white circle.  

WELL HE SAID ... "that is nice but why not go one step further and extend your images so you can cut out the face and continue the scene out onto the front panel of the clock."
OKAY ... BACK TO THE WORKTABLE!!!

Of course this meant I had to do ANOTHER set of scenes ALL OVER AGAIN!!  But that was okay because I didn't really care for the 'summer' scene I had created on the first one.

Remember this all started from a BLANK PIECE OF PAPER ... here are some of the products I used:
Stamps - Stampscapes, Inkadinkado, Northwood, All Nite Media, Ala Art
Inks - Tim Holtz Distress ink, Versafine Ink
Accessories - Chalks, Prisma pencils, SU watercolor pencils, sponge applicators, makeup applicators, Eclipse Masking Medium,

I mention this only because I showed this to a lady who thought I had just taken a sheet of designer paper and cut & glued it in place ... Uh ... NO!  It was all done from scratch.

Although I was careful in my cutting & gluing around the outside edge, I still didn't like the 'unfinished' look so I glued Gold Elastic Cording (unstretched) around the entire outer edge with Art Glitter (dries clear) designer adhesive.

I must admit ... I'm really glad I ask for hubby's opinion ... although he teases me about my crafting and all the "stuff" I have in my 'cave' ... he enjoys giving me a helping hand now & then ... even if it is in the form of an idea!  (Would I ever be able to get him down here to make a card --- HEAVENS NO!  LOL!)

Now remember ... Lana (Blest With Stamps) has altered this same style clock and I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see what she's come up with!  NO ... I DON'T KNOW EITHER!  All I know is that it's PURPLE ... Hmmmmm, curious!!!  So be sure to pop on over ... check out her project and leave her a little love while you are there!  I know that's where I'm headed RIGHT NOW!!!

Gee ... I wonder what project we'll work on next?  
It will probably be between these two items:


STAY TUNED FOR MORE ALTERING FUN!!!

A few qualifying challenges are:
Emergency Crafters - Butterflies, Birds or anything with wings 
Hotshot Craft Blog - Distress Inks
Inspire Me Fridays #63 - Anything Goes
Polka Doodles - Summer Scene
Stampin with the Dragon - Anything Goes
 Forever Friends - Anything Goes (include an animal) - horse

Have a fabulous day and thanks so much for taking the time to pop in!
Hugs ...
Darlene

17 comments:

  1. wow awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a difference and its so fabulous i think i need it..haha,,well done and have popped over to lanas and took a peep..both stunning pieces in their own right ..whos a clever girls then...hugs sassyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Darlene, Your clock is certainly one to treasure now. Its Absolutely Stunning. I just cally hubby and he said it looks wonderful, he's even had a second look. LOL. You are such a talented lady ,even with the help of DH. Enjoy your day and I'm off to visit Lana now. Hugs Rita xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! This is absolutely stunning. I LOVE this!!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. This clock is soooo pretty...really like the addition of the gold cording. It's amazing what you can do with paper...truly amazing. Going over to see Lana's now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow oh wow Hun this is fantastic honest Hun just brilliant,that really is a master piece Hun amazing,creation just love love it,wow hugs Cherylxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore what you did with this clock, Darlene! It's just wonderful! The scenes and colors you chose really work well together, and extending them beyond the clock face was a stroke of genius - way to go, hubby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darlene, What can I say but a great BIG WOW!!! This is stunning I love the colors and the whole four season idea ( Way to go Mark) but it takes true talent to make it come to life like you did Darlene!!That would be so tricky to fit it all together too!!! I love it love it love it!! Can't wait to see it in person today!!!!! Oh my gosh I want to do another clock now LOL LOL!!! Hugs dear friend thanks for adding so much fun to my life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool!!! Wish I could get my two crafty friends to do this. Can't wait to see what the next one is going to be.
    Oh, nice of hubby to lend an idea. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW- I would keep him and his good eye around! How awesome is this project! I LOVE the 4 seasons and love that you extended them to the outer edge. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the frame or the jewelry box!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just gorgeous,Thanks for sharing with us at Forever Friends.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so creative, Darlene (and Mark)! Beautiful artwork on the images and putting them all together that way - well, just genius! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! I am going to have to get my bottom in gear and make something out of the pile of "junque" I have in my office/craft room! The clock is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Darlene. This is fantastic. I love altered art and recycling items. Such a cool piece to treasure. I am now your newest follower so I can keep up to date with your creations : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. FabUUUUUUUUUUUUlous!!! I can't believe you did that from scratch. A wonderful project
    Thanks for playing along with Polka Doodles
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super project - great idea. Thanks for playing along at Polkadoodles!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful! Thank you for joining us at HSC for our Distress Inks challenge

    Sarah x

    Check Hot Shot Craft shop for new items
    http://www.hotshotcraft.co.uk/catalog/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some love!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.