Monday, December 1, 2014

The Many Faces of Santa . . .

Hello My Friends
WOW!  Can you believe it??
DECEMBER 1, 2014
Where has the year gone?? 

Since it is the first Monday of a new month, that means it is once again time for a new Linky Party at Crafty Secrets!  This month, the design team is focusing on a these themes:  Calendars, Christmas and Cooking!  You'll definitely want to check out what my team mates have to share with you this time around ... they continue to 'out-do' themselves month after month!!  WOW!  What amazing inspiration!

And, we're thrilled to have Glenda Brooks and  Birgit Norton as our Guest Designers this month.

Remember, there is NO THEME for YOU to follow!  You can create ANYTHING you'd like for this challenge as long as it has an item from Crafty Secrets/Heartwarming Vintage on it.  Just as simple as that and EVERYONE is a winner!  Be sure to go to our Crafty Secrets Blog for all the Linky Party details.

Before I share my project, I wanted to share this:
Cyber Monday! Save 30% EXTRA off all our Sale priced items now until 12 PM PST Monday, Dec 1/14.  


I wanted something new to hang in my kitchen this holiday season, so I decided to create with the new Vintage Santa Digital Stamps Set!
So many fabulous images and I used a lot of them on today's project which is an ALTERED CANVAS!  I have grown to love doing this sort of thing and it's so easy when you have so many fabulous images in just one set to play with.    
You say you've never tried doing this??  Well ... here's a few tips that I hope will help you when you try it for yourself!  Then we will BOTH be addicted to this style of creating!  LOL!!

What you will need:
8x10 white canvas
Crafty Secrets Vintage Santa Digital images
Crafty Secrets Vintage Christmas CD5 design paper
Tim Holtz Distress 'Tea Dye' Ink
ModPodge
Sponge brush
White glue (I use Art Glitter dries clear glue)
Scissors or Craft Knife (for fussy cutting)
Markers, chalks, pencils (for coloring)
Red ribbon/greenery of your choosing 


STEP 1:  Print images the size you wish, depending on how many you want to use as to the size you will print.  I brought my images into a blank Word document keeping in mind those that I knew I wanted to fussy cut and/or pop up.


 STEP 2:  Cut your images and give them an aged appearance by sponging the edges with Tim Holtz Tea Dye distress ink.    I decided to only use a small amount of 'color' and I picked RED as my focus color.
 STEP 3:  Around the outside edge of your canvas, you can leave it plain, use paint, ribbon, or do as I did and antique the edges but simply applying ink from your pad directly around the outer edge.







STEP 4:  Print the background paper of your choice.  Crafty Secrets has some GORGEOUS paper designs in their Christmas CD sets ... both Vintage and Retro.
Cut to 8 x 10 size to fit the front of your canvas and adhere using Mod Podge and small sponge brush ... I use the matte finish. 



STEP 5:  Lay out your images to get an idea of which images will be 'under' and which ones will be 'over' ... then start applying them to your covered canvas using white glue (or the adhesive of your choice).

As you can see, on some of the edges I 'wrapped' it around and adhered it down ... others I let stick up.  Be creative!!

Once you have all your pieces in place, (remember you can POP UP a few items like I did with my fussy cut Santa on the lower portion) or leave them flat.

To help pull in the 'touch of color' I added springs of greenery and small red satin ribbon bows that I created using my Craft-Dee Bowz bow making tool.

The possibilities are endless on a creation like this!  Give it a try!  Get out those Crafty Secrets products and GO CRAZY!!  Then be sure to come share it with us at the Crafty Secrets December Linky Party!!

One more peek at my project with a few close-ups.  Sorry for the long post but that happens when I want to share the HOW TO's with ya'll.  LOL

Here are the links for my team mates ... PLEASE pay them a visit and BE INSPIRED!!
Crafty Secrets Design Team
Kathy Clement - DT Leader  
Birgit Norton - December Guest Designer
Glenda Brooks - December Guest Designer


Now to find the PERFECT spot to hang my new holiday collage!

A few challenges to share in:
Simon Monday Challenge - Holiday Cards, etc.
Anything But A Card FIFTH Sunday Challenge - Anything but a Card using 'Five' (Altered Canvas with more than FIVE Santas)
Scribble and Scrap Crafts Challenge - Always Anything Goes
That Craft Place Challenge - Anything Goes
Craft-Dee Bowz December Challenge - Anything Goes using Ribbon
Simon Says Wednesday Challenge - Anything Goes
The Cheerful Stamp Pad #100 - All Digital
Craft Hoarders Challenge #21 - Celebrate the Season (canvas is over 1 yr old)
Craftin Desert Diva's Linky Party - Christmas
Fitztown Challenge - Red/Green Color Challenge
Get Creative Challenge - Christmas

I hope you enjoyed my creation/tutorial today and will come join in our challenge fun at Crafty Secrets!  Now I need to get busy ... one more craft show for the year this Wednesday and I also have painter's here painting my kitchen before our Annual Neighborhood Christmas Party on the 14th!  Oh my goodness ...  I will have kitchen redo photos to share soon!

As always . . .

29 comments:

  1. Oh girl, I love, love, love this canvas. These Santa's make my heart sing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this vintage collage, Dar! The simple color palette, the layers...the little pops of red are all just wonderful! You were certainly inspired on this one! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning project...who would'nt love to have this hang in their home for Christmas...and who doesn't love Santa...wonderful project my friend!! A great use of those fabulous Santa images...clever, clever idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous collage! I love the simple color scheme you used on all of the images and your brought them together so wonderfully! Such a fun piece of home decor for the holidays!
    Blessings~ Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a rich red you used for the Santa's. This will look gorgeous hung up for Christmas. You have inspired me to try an altered Christmas canvas for my powder room. Good luck at the Craft Fait. I stopped doing these a couple of years ago as I am always so busy anyway I couldn't spare the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun Christmas creation, Darlene! There are some wonderful Santas in your mix! Thanks for sharing it with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you used "all" the Santa images! I adore vintage Santa and would keep him out all year round if I could. ;) This is such a wonderful project. I adore it! My address is...... hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your collage of Santas is a great idea. This will look great wherever you finally display it. Thanks for showing how you made this. Thanks for joining us at the Craft-Dee BowZ challenge this month. Also, starting Wednesday nite 10 pm, Craft-Dee BowZ is having our December Blog Hop. Leave comments on the DT posts to be eligible for the prize. Hope you can join in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is truly amazing!! You did a phenomenal job with your coloring and making it look very vintage! I adore this!! :)

    Thank you so much for joining us for the Craftin Desert Divas "Christmas" Linky Party.
    ~ DT Lori

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just amazing! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous vintage collage canvas! Thanks for joining the Craft-Dee BowZ December Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Vintage Santa collage!
    I want to go and make one for myself right away. But...I have no canvas handy at the moment! Thabnk you for all the tips and tricks! I see a trip to the craft store coming up!Also hope I can get my old Windows program to wok!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful vintage Santa collage. Love all the images.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Craft Hoarders Anon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. such pretty cards! thank you for linking up to our digital images challenge at the cheerful stamp pad! xo from michele on the DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for entering this at Craft Hoarders Anonymous! Lovely Christmas project!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This is fantastic and so much fun! Thanks for sharing your fabulous project and joining our challenge at Fitztown Challenge Blog. Hope to see you again and good luck!
    Ema
    FCB CT Coordinator

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Darlene, What a gorgeous canvas and I hope you proudly display it in your kitchen as it's Beautiful with all the vintage Santa's.
    Thankyou for joining us at That Craft Place. Good Luck and hope to see you again soon.
    Hugs Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulously festive collage! It was so fun to see all the different variations of Santa and you put them together so well! Great use of space and color and the whole thing sings with holiday cheer! I would've never thought to make a collage like this, so I truly was impressed and appreciate the inspiration. Like you, I am still in denial that we're actually into December, but I'm going to try to catch up and start enjoying the holiday spirit! Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous for this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this - so well put together. Thanks for sharing your lovely crafting for the Cheerful Stamp Pad challenge 100, Hazel, DT - hope to see you again soon x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing your lovely project with us at Get Creative Challenges this time. Good luck and we hope you join us again soon. Christine DT

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful canvas and love the tutorial! Thanks for joining us at Anything But a Card and good luck!
    Hugs,
    Lynne, Anything But a Card DT

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely vintage Santa Collage! I really like how you added just a touch of color to the digital stamps. Thanks for joining us at CHACB.

    ReplyDelete
  24. amazing! you took the santa collection to a whole new level and really created an amazing art piece!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful Canvas, love the digital images and will have to check it out...Thanks for joining us on the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stunning canvas. Thank you for joining us over at the Scribble and Scrap Challenge. Good luck.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is fabulous! I love the pop of red!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this santa collage! The beautiful colors and santa images just make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love your collage and what great pics of Santa. I like the fact that you did a lot of coloring. Please come back to The Cheerful Stamp Pad and I would love to see more of what you create. .PS. The theme now is "Signs of Christmas" so please come back and enter this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some love!
Darlene