Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Trying a few new technique ideas . . .

Hello Friends ...
How is everyone holding up?
Even though time seems to be flying in one respect ...
it sure seems to be dragging on in another!!

BUT, we must just muddle through, follow the rules and pray it works out
for the best when all is said and done!  That means I'm still hiding out in my cave
and when I do go out in public, I'm wearing a mask and keeping 6' away from everyone!  LOL

So, yesterday I spotted a technique that I had never tried before even though the product required to do so has been on my shelf (unopened) for a very long time.  I'm referring to the new May challenge over at the CAS Mix Up Challenge Blog


Luckily they shared several videos I could watch to get a feel for how this product was to be used.  After reviewing them ALL, I resorted back to the first one and gave it a go.  It turned out rather nice and I was so excited when all was said and done THEN REALIZED I had totally forgotten about projects for this challenge needing to be CAS (clean & simple)... grrrrr!  SO, back to the drawing board and I came up with the following card (I'll share the 1st card at the end of my post).


 I first smeared the Gesso onto a panel of watercolor paper using an older Memory Box stencil and a sponge applicator.  After heat setting, I used yet another Memory Box stencil & Gesso in two of the four corners.  Once dry, I applied four different TH distress inks finishing by lightly sponging the lightest color of ink over the entire panel.  Lastly I carefully 'wiped' across the panel with a baby wipe and spritzed with water.  OH and nearly forgot ... did a little outlining of the flowers with a white gelly roll pen before die cutting and adding to my card front.



I used one of my extra die cut frames for bring added focus of my Gesso panel then once completely dry I stamped the sentiment using an Impression Obsession stamp set.

AS PROMISED ... HERE'S CARD #1

 I was SO EXCITED with how my first Gesso card came out that I just had to share it with you even though it doesn't qualify for the challenge I had in mind for it LOL.  Maybe I can find a few other places to share this card and hopefully inspire someone else to give this technique a try.

Challenges to share in:
Simon Says Monday Challenge - Spritz and Splatter
A Place To Start MAY Challenge - Create a Custom Background
 Use Your Stuff Challenge #397 - Flowers and/or Butterflies
CAS Stencil MAYChallenge - Layered Stenciling


Thanks so much for stopping by today and I hope you have a safe and wonderful week ahead.  As for me, I'm headed over to PA to mow Mom's lawns.   We are finally back on track with her estate and the online auction ends this coming weekend.  Then once everything is cleared out, we can finally get her house & properties listed with the realtor.  Not sure how things will go with all the craziness we have going on in our country (world) right now but I pray there is someone out there that will fall in love & purchase the home I grew up in. 

Take Care All and stop back tomorrow when I'll have a creation to share for the  new DOUBLE D CHALLENGE ... you won't want to miss it!!


17 comments:

  1. I can see why you were pleased with your first card, it is just gorgeous. I have made that exact same mistake before too. Your CAS card though, is equally gorgeous in a slightly different way. Thanks for persevering and making another card to share with us at CAS stencil. I love how you have combined using gesso with several different stencils xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are awesome. Love the designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty, Darlene! Actually they're both gorgeous! Love the flowers and color choices with the added white space to show them off! A new challenge and you've done it proud! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, fabulous first try with the gesso! Love all the beautiful colors. I have told myself I need to try some gesso, but not sure if if would be a wasted purchase since I don't do much mixed media. These are really amazing, though. I especially love the second one. I hope all goes well with your Mom's house. My friend is a realtor and still showing houses. Maybe it's a good market? I don't know, but I wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both area absolutely beautiful. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You nailed this technique Darlene!! I LOVE how your CAS card turned out with the mix of stencils, gesso, and ink. FABULOUS! So pretty with your textured framing! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up.

    Totally AMAZED by your first card you made with the Gesso resist technique. The design, patterns, colours .. are all fantastic. You should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ... and thanks for sharing at CAS Stencil as well Darlene!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you had fun with the Gesso Resist challenge. Your cards look fab .... I love the colours and pretty stencil designs. Thank you for playing along with the CAS Mix Up challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous job on this and great results you got, it is so pretty!!
    Wishing you all the best with the auction and selling of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cards are stunning, I will definitely be trying out this technique.
    Thank you for entering your card into my Celebrations challenge at CCM.
    Stay safe and Hugs Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both gesso resist cards are so beautiful, Darlene! You did a wonderful job with the gesso resist technique.
    You did the stencil & gesso application twice for each card, which added fabulous mixed media texture and colors to the panel.
    The first one is a CAS beauty and the second one is simply gorgeous!
    Thank you so much for sharing the first card with us at CAS Mix Up!
    Hideko xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, they both turned out so beautiful! I've never played with gesso before. Been meaning to try it but I find a little intimidating :-) Thanks for the inspiration, I may just give it a go :-)
    I hope you're enjoying your weekend.
    Hugs,
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful card ...thanks for joining APTS challenges
    wish we see you soon
    Lady- DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both your cards are stunners, but I especially love the one you submitted to SSS Mondays. Your colours are wonderful and the gesso (one of my favourite things) works beautifully. You have every right to be pleased with (and proud of) your results. Gorgeous.
    Stay safe!
    Cath x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Two gorgeous cards, Darlene. Your 1st gesso mixed media card using layered stenciling with DI's is Stunning!!! So happy you made another CAS version of your gesso stenciling. The biggest challenge is keeping your card design CAS, but how awesome to get 2 cards in the end:-) TFS... Stay safe and creative...Hugs...Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful card. Thank you for sharing with us at My Besties Spanish Pink challenge. Marlene DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, you were selected as a Rising Star for the week: May 4-10, 2020 at At Place To Start! Thanks for sharing your talent with us and for supporting our little challenge. We appreciate you!

    Resident Design Team
    A Place To Start

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some love!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.