Saturday, January 26, 2013

Warm Wishes

Hello my friends ... I hope you are staying warm!
Brrrr ... it's STILL cold here in NE Ohio, USA and I'm more & more ready for Springtime with every passing day!  LOL!  But I guess that will have to wait for a couple more months!

I am, however, sending you Warm Wishes with this creation I made for the challenge at Joan's Gardens this week.  We were to make a Pink & White creation, using at least one heart and a pretty border.

There's a fun story behind the creation on this card.

The focus image actually is the result of a couple of card making 'bloopers'!  The image is a photograph that my cousin Shirley took at her home last winter and she asked me to create 100 Christmas cards for her this year using this photo for the front cover.  (see original photo below)



During the printing of her Christmas cards, I had a few print a bit off center so I put them aside to reuse the white flip side for other card making uses (recycle).  Which is exactly what I did here.  I used one of these sheets to die cut the 'white' heart circle I needed for the front of my card.  BUT ... when I die cut it and flipped it over I was really impressed with how great the photo side looked and since the 'pink' sky also worked for the challenge requirement ... my entire card focus switched gears and this was the outcome!  Don't you love it when a 'MISTAKE' turns into something beautiful!!!

Other products used on this creation are:
Stamps: Verve 'Winter Mittens'
Paper: SU bridal pink, white
Ink: versafine black, versamark
Accessories: Memory Box 'Frostyville Border' die, Spellbinder 'Classic Hearts' die, Spellbinder 'Heart Circles' die, Sizzix snowflake EF

OH! OH! OH!  
And look at what was delivered to my house yesterday!


Hubby & I went to the matinee of Les Miserables yesterday and these were waiting for me when I came home!  YEAH!!!   Oh and BTW ... the movie was AWESOME!!!  Hugh Jackman (what a hunk) & Anne Hathaway were AMAZING!  We had seen the stage play in Pittsburgh several years ago but the movie made the actually STORYLINE easier to follow.  I'm so glad we went trudging through the snow to see it!

Well, I guess you know what I will be doing today!  
Time to practice 'blending' and 'coloring' with my new Spectrum Noir Alcohol Markers!
Oh Happy Day!!

Have a fabulous weekend everyone and as always . . .
Don't forget about my blog candy ... CLICK HERE.

20 comments:

  1. Love the card ... and the markers look Yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous Darlene! You are definitely thinking outside of the box and I love all the elements!
    Hugs,
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is gorgeous. I too always try to use my mistakes !!! I hate throwing anything away. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow what a stunning photo your friend took and your beautiful card really showcases it so creatively.
    Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh...I love that picture, and your project is just beautiful. And I can't wait to see what you color first with your markers. I have a few ideas for some great digi stamps that you could practice on. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...is this pretty or what!!! And what a great idea your friend had to have you make her cards with...very inspiring....lucky for you some printed "off", as it sure turned into an amazing thing! I have to see that movie!! And what fun to get some mail like that.....I have one set of those pens....I now see I need "more"!! Have a cozy weekend my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful mistake!!! Your card is just gorgeous!!! Oh yes and thanks for the warm wishes ... as long as only the wishes are warm... we certainly don't need any warmer weather here in South Africa right now!
    The Spectrum Noir bug has certainly got hold of you too LOL! I need only one more set of 24 then I have ALL the markers, even all the sets of 6! Enjoy them my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! Stunning pic and your mistake looks just as stunning! I like the way just the tree tops came out in the die cut. Cool mistake, Dar! You've sure been a busy lady lately. When will you have time to practice coloring? :) hugs from chilly FL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is absolutely beautiful! I always love embossing!
    Pam
    scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darlene...what fabulous 'mistakes" you make! lol this is beautiful and I may have to try that mistake out myself sometime!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a story and a beautiful card to come from it. Looks like you took the plunge with the markers. Glad you liked the movie, I think I may try and go this week.
    Hugs,
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous, Darlene! And yes, I do love it when something that goes wrong works out the way this did for you. I hope you'll let all of us know what you think of the Spectrum Noir markers after you've had a chance to play with them for a while.

    Have a great weekend!
    Anniebee

    ReplyDelete
  13. I live by the motto: There are no mistakes only creative challenges! and you have proved that here by the outcome of your stunning card. I can't believe that you have taken on the task of making 100 Christmas cards as beautiful as the photograph is, I just can't imagine myself doing it....I've seen Les Miserables twice now and enjoyed it very much. All that yummy candy up on stage and the emotion is so raw. I don't think I've ever seen a movie where the men cry so much....Looking forward to seeing your artwork using your new Spectrum Noir markers. *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I love the soft look of this card. The embossing and die cuts are just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Darlene, You are so right when something that was wrong turns out to be so right is wonderful. Your sister took a amazing picture you could use that for so many things. Love what you did and the pink sky is just stunning.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your story about this gorgeous card. You are so creative. Thanks for joining us in this weeks challenge at Joan's Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! And I love hearing about other people little 'bloopers' that turn into amazing art - because your creation truly is amazing!!
    Hugs,
    Audrye

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous card you made and it looks fantastic! =)
    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Darlene this card is gorgeous!! I just love all of your wonderful die's. Congrats on the wonderful suprise waiting for you when you got home...you are a lucky girl :D

    Hugs ~ Char

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought your card was beautiful and then to read it was from Cousin Shirley's picture...made it even better. I'm so glad you and Pap are enjoying retirement.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some love!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.