Thursday, October 8, 2009

What are you doing today???

Here's what I've been up to the past couple of days. Making "Picalilli" using an old family recipe.




Yep, it's THAT time of the year again. Canning time!! I grew up on a small farm and we spent all summer canning everything from the garden. Every type of pickle imaginable, corn, saurkraut, whole tomatoes, tomato juice, and of course Picalilli made from green tomatoes & onions at the end of the season. While visiting my mom on Tuesday, she gave me the last of her tomatoes and with what I on my few plants I was able to put together a double batch and ended up with 18 pints (+ one for the fridge). Now I'm in the process of making a batch of salsa to use up the remainder of the red tomatoes. Don't want those wonderful tasting garden tomatoes to go to waste! And these will taste so good throughout the winter.
Would you like the recipe?? Well here ya go:
1 peck of green tomatoes
1/2 bag of yellow onions (3#)
Slice green tomatoes & onions (not too thin) little more than 1/4". Sprinkle 3/4 - 1 cup salt over top ... six through well ... let stand overnight. Drain.
For this amount of tomatoes and onions use:
7 12 cups sugar
4 1/2 cups vinegar
2 tsp. tumeric
3 Tblsp. mustard seed
1 oz. pickling spices
(Make a cheesecloth bag for the tumeric, mustard seed & pickling spice and tie with string. Makes it easier to remove and discard at the end.)
It will seem like not enough liquid ... but it is!!
Bring liquid to boil. Add vegetables and cook about 5-10 minutes until heated through. Place into clean, steril jars and seal. Makes approx. 9 pints.
I hope you are having a wonderful day ... now I need to get back to my canning ... daylight's a wasting!! LOL!! Thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Dar!! So yummy!! I remember canning with my mom...I so wish I could come over with you today!! TFS!! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy.... my family always cans during the summer too. Thanks for sharing this great family recipe with us.
    Blessings,
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been a busy lady,,,yummy what a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl you are amazing! How do you do it all?? Sorry it's been awhile - congrats on all these design teams! I am so happy for you : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh I want to come to your house.. Just to smell this. My mom and I used to can all the time.. I miss it so much. I wish we lived closer I would come and help.. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering where you were !
    So am I guessing this is polish food? looks great...
    All my tomatoes got eaten by the deer! Blah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, you have been busy! Looks yummy : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darlene, it looks soooo good. I know it is work, but something that will be good all winter.

    Thanks so much for sharing with us the delicious sounding recipe.

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well girlie... looks like you've been busy!!! Hope it all turned out yummy! :-) Have a fabulous weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Girl have you been busy!! i should be making applesauce with my 2 bushels of apples!! You make me feel guilty. LOL! Looks good!! Great work my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you EVER sit still? This looks LICIOUS as my granddaughter would say! Would make great Christmas gifts ..... wink wink .... with cute little tags .... wink wink! I love visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love seeing the jars all lined up! I try to keep mine on the counter for a day or two...but hubby rushes to take them off to the pantry! lol
    Never made salsa, I should, we go through it pretty fast!

    I'll be making pickles tomorrow! I'll try to line up my jars and take a pix!

    Your photo looks so yummy! :)
    blessings, Maria

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me some love!

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.